Saturday, March 16, 2013

WBT Certification Program


What Are the Strengths and Weaknesses of the WBT Certification Program?

Per Aspera Ad Astera- Despite Hardships, to the Stars

The WBT Certification process is a well-rounded program that will lead me through WBT basic techniques, resources, and beyond. A strength of the program is its design. The point format allows me to customize my pathway. As an online program, I can work whenever I am able. As a virtually free program, I am not excluded due to cost. This flexibility allows me to work at my own pace and choose the topics I need most.

Even though the program is free and convenient to access, it is not easy. I am challenged to do a hard thing: Change. Instead of falling into my usual teaching patterns, I must change by learning and practicing new techniques. I have to leave my comfort zone and become better. Fortunately, there are thousands of pages of online resources available at the click of a mouse. In addition, there is a Forum through which questions can be asked and answered.

In spite of all the time and effort required, the program is achievable because of another of the program’s great strengths: the WBT leadership team. I will be supported all along the way by a leadership team that is passionate, visionary, and selfless. One of the most valuable and inspiring parts of WBT is watching videos of WBT Gurus teaching their classes. It transfers the vision of what outstanding teaching – and learning – looks like; however, the Gurus do more than just post videos. They are willing to invest their time in the development of other teachers whom they have never even met! The process is truly amazing.

The only drawback I encountered in this plan has subsequently been addressed. With so many options, it was difficult for me to decide on a certification plan. I just started watching past webcasts in the video library. A subsequent post in the Forum by Chris Biffle outlined a 7-week plan to obtain certification which gave me guidance through the plethora of choices. Later, mentors were offered to help certification seekers. I have not asked for a mentor as of yet because of a prior commitment, but as soon as I give a presentation at an educational conference at the end of the month, I will be free to pursue my goal of becoming a certified District Presenter. I now have the guidance I need to make it through the certification process.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment